CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Next time you go to put food down your disposal. . .

This past Saturday night, Ivan and I were going out on a date, (and it had been quite a while since we had gone out because of ball games/practices, Ivan out of town, etc.) Well, I don't cook on date nights, just pull out leftovers for the kids. Since we hadn't gone out for a while, we hadn't had L/O in a while, so there were quite a few, some that just went straight to the trash. Well, therein lies the problem. If I had thrown them in the trash can, instead of the disposal, I wouldn't be writing this right now. Yeah, I kind of put too much old, rotten food down the disposal, pasta, re-fried beans, sloppy joes, etc. I just kept rinsing them down, with the disposal running. Then I noticed that the water was over-flowing on the other side of the sink. We plunged it a few times, but then left on our date. Later that night, I tried to fix the problem, I took some of the pipes apart underneath the sink, (and broke one of the pipe fittings/rings), but couldn't see any clogs. After breaking the ring, Ivan came down, (from watching the NBA play-offs), to help me. We worked on it, snaked it, but to no avail. On Monday Ivan bought a longer snake, but still no luck. Finally we figured out we were going to have to cut the pipe in the basement to find the clog. So, we went down, buckets in hand, and he cut the pipe, and almost hit the clog right on. Just imagine rotten food and water raining down on your heads. Yeah, that was really gross!!! At one point Ivan said, "I have had to do a lot of yucky stuff in my life, but this is just about the worst, because it's on my head." I felt real bad for him, since it was pretty much my fault. But, he didn't get upset w/me or anything. Just kind of said, that I should probably double bag it, and throw it out in the trash next time. We used the snake, and a broomstick to clear out the food, then put it all back together, and it is working fine, no leaks or anything. I spent a couple of hours today cleaning it all up. So, be warned some of these pictures are kind of nasty!!


3 comments:

Shelli said...

That is kind of gross.

I was looking at your family picture, and it is funny. Ivan looks like he's been photoshopped in because everyone else is pretty casual and he is there with a white shirt and tie.

Love it.

Raylene said...

OK, that is really gross! Sounds like something everyone has to deal with sometime but wishes they didn't! I feel bad for Ivan too! We are making progress on the basement. Halfway done with trim and then carpet...yay!! Talk to you soon!
Raylene

Shelli said...

Let me know when you update :)